Search This Blog

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Little to You, Huge to Me

     Any progress whether it be little or big is always huge in our house. Yesterday Luke pointed to two..yes TWO body parts when asked!! This is big for numerous reason 1) he listened to what I said 2) he responded to what I said 3) he knew where these body parts were. Most kids can point to body parts on demand pretty early. I have been trying to get Luke to point to his nose or mine for well over a year and come to find out he knows where it is and my ears. This is a big victory for me, it warms my heart. Now he wont do it every time I ask but I have noticed he only does it when he is wearing his SPIO. He never lost his speech while he was wearing this at Happy Days and now that we got his bigger one this past Friday he is starting to babble here and there again. I really think this is something huge for him. I think it helps him calm is sensory overload within and concentrate.
Today he let me put it on him with minimal whining and he wore it for 4 straight hours before I took it off him. I chose to take it off him because everyone needs a break every once in a while =)

    I think people with typical kids take a lot of little things for granted. Accuse me- guilty as charged!! I do this with my daughter as well. I want to tell her to shut her mouth all the time cause that girl can make a rock want to go hide with her mouth sometimes! lol She can go a million miles a minute about the same thing over and over. When I notice I am doing this I try to make extra effort to think of how it could be, how I wish and pray everyday that Luke could talk my ear off until I was ripping out my hair!!!!! No joke if his first sentence was B*tch get my a sip cup now! I would do a happy dance!!! But yet I tell my daughter to hush all the time! Hypocrite I know but I am human and I am working on it. Emma is smart as a whip and picks things up so quickly. I never realize just how smart she is until I feel guilty. She is am amazing little girl and I love her to pieces. Today she asked me if her little brother could go spend the day with her at Grammies house. It warms my heart, I know she loves him dearly. Which brings me to another little progression rant I will go into...

     Luke has been letting Emma love on him here and there. NEVER take LOVE for granted. Emma and Little Man used to be soo close before the changes happened. She loved him and he did her the same. She doesn't get whats going on, I explain he is different-her response is "Yea Mom I am different too" Of course you are hunny hahaha. Luke is usually pretty mean to Emma, she is loud in your face kinda girl. I like to think she gets that from her Daddies side of the family! HA! (I used to be super loud, dramatic and crazy...sometimes still am =)  )  The past few days Luke has let Emma hug him and kiss him. She tells him when he is getting upset about school that its ok and he is safe! AWE! (cue teary eyed mom) She grabs his hand and walks with him to the Teachers awaiting their arrival. Maybe there is hope after all. The way he has been to her for almost a year and a half I was starting to wonder if he would ever show her love. I don't say if he would love her because I am so sure he does but she is his personal sensory overload from hell lol. I am babbling again...

     Any whose its...needless to say much progress for us in the past week. He did amazing at his new school, he is babbling somewhat again, letting his sister love him, pointing, listening..so many small things leading up to huge progress. Always love your kiddos and appreciate everything they can do, no matter how small it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment