Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

As one door closes another opens. I just hope its a good door.

       Today is Monday and everyone knows Mondays just suck. This Monday is the mark of the beginning of the week that ends Lukes stay at Happy Days School. I already know its not going to be a good week for me, they have done so much for him. I am trying very hard to think of all the positives and not dwell on the negatives of him leaving. Luke has gained almost year of mental development while being with them!! He has come a long way, he is out of his own world most days, he is definitely better with meltdowns and coping, for that I am truly grateful because we can take him places. Most of all I am grateful for his speech.
      Although his speech comes and goes and its not typical of someone his age, its very refreshing to hear him babble and say words here and there. He has had his speech (making sounds and babble with some words) for a consistent 2 months or more now, which is the longest he has ever kept it since the changes happened. He says Momma and Dada, pop, makes the baa and buuuh sounds, we caught him on video saying bad bad boy and he has just starting make taa sounds!
      With all those positive things said and a ton I didn't mention its still hard. He will be going to a city school next year. I am very grateful for everything Streetsboro has acquired for Luke and the other children! He will be having a small class and they have got the TEACHH program that he is doing now. I like the staff very much at Wait Primary but any mother would be nervous. It is going to be a big change for my little guy and change doesn't go very well for him. He loves his Early Intervention team very much and I am sure he will miss them greatly. I am hoping that as this door closes the one opening at Wait Primary goes smoothly. Luke is a lot to handle when he gets upset and I think the months ahead will be rough ones but hopefully the new routine will be set and he will adjust with grace.
       I am not sure how to prepare him for the coming change, Wait is going to have a 10 day acclimation program for him before school starts so he can see and adjust to his new surrounding with very low number of students and for that I am truly happy, I am just not sure if it is going to be enough. I know it will be rough for him and for me but I will do what I have always done, hug him and love him and tell him everything is going to be ok. This is just the next step in our adventures and with the rising sun a new day dawns and we will take it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment