Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sniffles and Babbles

My little Luke is nonverbal...for the most part. If you have been following along with our journey you know what I am referring to. If you are new to this, please check out my story but for now, in a nutshell he gets very brief and limited spurts of speech. I call them his 'up phases'.

I know there is a lot of talk about Autism and fevers. How when our kids are sick they seem to be more 'typical'. I am a believer in this. I have seen it when he is sick, he acts more "normal". Although when he is sick it is a huge pain in the a$$ because he cannot talk and tell me what is wrong. But that is a horse of another color.

Luke has been getting sick off and on since Thanksgiving. It seems there are a couple different Flu's running around on top of a couple different colds. Once he is over one of them, within a few days to a week we all seem to catch the next one.

Yesterday Luke woke up with the sniffles. Sometimes its runny, sometimes its stuffy. Either way I know he isn't feeling well. He is being a trooper so far and very minimal complaints. What has been happening other than the cold is amazing.

Whether it is pure happenstance or linked I am sure I will never know but yesterday and today he has been playing and babbling. I almost got 'Momma' out of him today. He sat in the living room and played with these plastic toys you link together for over 30 minutes. I was completely blissed out.
His babbling and noises are amazing. It is music to my ears. I wish he would let me catch it on video but the stinker knows when I grab my phone and start to record he just hushes right up.

So while the sniffles truly suck and I know it bothers him to have them, I absolutely love the babbles. There is so much about Autism that is a mystery. I think the missing puzzle piece sums it up pretty well. I won't ever know if when he is sick and acting more 'typical' if it related but I believe it is. There is so much that I don't know. And if I will ever truly know the answers too.

But for now I will enjoy my sniffles and babbles because they are my light in the darkness. The light I so desperately run to time and time again. This light will fade out soon, as it always does but for now it is shining bright. A beacon of hope. For if we don't have faith and hope we are lost. I will never let him get lost. I will always lead us back to the light because it is what I do. I love him dearly. As long as the light never goes all the way out there is always a dim reminder of what once was and hope for a brighter tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Bethany!!!! HAPPY LIEBSTER AWARD! i choose you. :) http://pddworld.blogspot.com/2013/01/i-chooseyou.html

    ReplyDelete