Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Time for the Official Diagnosis Appointment

Everyone knew his appointment was coming up and the time just flew by. With my husband being in school full time during the day, Lukas in school four times a week in the afternoon and me going to school full time at night, time got away from us. I asked all his therapists at the scool to write an updated evaluation for him and whatever their concerns were and his progress since being with them at Happy Days. They did so and I took them with me for his appointment. I couldnt sleep at all the night before and was such a nervous wreck all the way there. I almost felt like vomitting every where. We get there, do some papers and play the waiting game. They were soo busy I thought I would wait forever but within 20 mins they called us back. She asked me all kinds of questions and tried to get him to do things but he wouldnt comply. She said well before I give a diagnosis, I want to rule out everything. She ratted off EEG for silent seizures, MRI of the brain to rule out degreneratioin of the brain and all kinds of blood work. So I waited to check out thinking we atleast they are being sure and checking everything. I took all first available appointments I could and was set to have everything done within 2 weeks of this appointment. I was happy I wouldnt have to wait soo long for some answers. She refered me to another doctor there at Akron Childrens and said he specialized in Autism and when his appointment was scheduled for, we would get results and a diagnosis, if nothing came back funny. The very next morning was his EEG, they were supposed to sedate him and didnt and it was literally two hours of torture for us both. He broke all the blood vessels in his face and his whole body was red. He sobbed for 2 hours after they handed him back to be. It took 3 people to get him down for blood work and I still had an MRI to do the following week. I didnt think we could go through anymore, it was soo traumatizing to him. I didnt want to put him through any of it. The next week flies by and we are awaiting his MRI appointment when I get a letter in the mail saying I need preauthorization for Lukes MRI. I called his doctor over and over for 4 days and they wouldnt return my calls. So the day before when I was about to cancel his appointment and was soo mad, sad, just plain upset but a miracle happened. The lady in Radiology made phone calls and got everything working and within 45 minutes of the first call, everything was good to go and we could go the next day no problems. I was terrified that it would be the same experience when we showed up, but he WOULD be sedated this time. I took some comfort in that but also was nervous, they had to stick an IV in him to get the medicine to go and would he wake up ok, would something happen while he was under?? The staff was incredible and took their time, explained everything to me and I was satisfied. He had a hard time but not nearly as bad as the EEG. They never made me leave his side and it was over before I realized. Then for 5 days of waiting for his appointment for results and possible diagnosis....

No comments:

Post a Comment