Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Good Always Out Weighs the Bad

    There are many bad times in the life of a mom who has an Autistic child. No one can really prepare you for all the things you will go through together. I mostly write on here when I can't keep my feeling in anymore on a certain situation, it's usually negative so I decided its time to write a more positive one. Things have been wonderful lately with Lukas. With the exception of a few nights here or there, he has been in such a wonderful mood. I want to think its because we got him a therapy swing, which he does not ever stay out of lol. I would really like more babbling out of him but I understand it's hard for him, he can go months without saying anything but a moan. The laughter I have been getting from him lately trumps a lot of those feelings though.
    So much eye contact and smiling lately, he is quick to crack a smile and laugh so hard. People laugh all the time but when my little guy laughs and I mean really laughs its the best sound in the world. He has been wanting to play more, which is amazing because he used to play all the time with toys and now all he does is throw things. He has been picking up his trains and making noises. This might not seem like a huge deal but for us it is. He is starting to play appropriately instead of throwing, believe me toys aren't cheap and this kid can throw like no other.
    I had been so worried that he would regress over the summer on his down time and with transitioning to a different school. So much worry and stress for nothing. He is really doing well at his new school, dropping him off is still rough, transitions are never easy. When I go to get him it makes it all better. He comes out smiling and looking for me, he immediately looks to the left because this is where I usually park. They let him go and he comes running to me with the biggest smile and always welcomes me with a hug and most the time a kiss. I feel truly grateful to God for his affection towards me. I know a lot ASD kids don't show affection at all, not because they don't like anyone but because they just don't know how. I read another blog earlier today and she was talking about all the things that come along with Autism and what they don't tell you. One thing really caught my eye though, she said when she gets hugs, its like holding your baby in your arms for the first time all over again. And it truly is. It makes my day to get hugs and smiles.
    I am sure there will be many more bad days to come but there will always be good days. Progress is slow but you know the turtle can win the race against the hare. We will get there and overcome a lot of thing. As long as I have my kids by my side I am the luckiest person alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment